"Energise Our Business will enable our leaders to think in a more powerful way about themselves, their people, our leadership network and the customers we serve. I believe this learning is aligned with our three strategic priorities and is well-supported by extensive research and solid Senior Leadership input."
— John Pettigrew, CEO, National Grid
As a global leader in the utilities industry, National Grid's core business is distributing energy to homes and businesses. Through its mission to 'Bring Energy to Life,' National Grid supports local economic growth and global sustainability. National Grid is headquartered in the United Kingdom and has a large presence in the Northeastern United States as well.
With the utilities industry facing major transformation — digitalization and new technologies are disrupting industry norms and climate change is inducing companies to decarbonize energy networks — National Grid's leaders must develop big picture solutions to emerging challenges unlike any this industry has seen before.
Since the majority of the company’s executive leadership team knew only a stable, unchanging past, they needed fresh skills in embracing and enabling much-needed change if they were to lead the industry. And they needed these skills now. However, with leaders’ schedules, time zone differences, and global locations, traditional training approaches wouldn’t work.
Entelechy, in partnership with National Grid, created a social learning experience to instill critical leadership topics and skills in the organization’s most senior leaders, effectively creating a cohesive leadership culture across the business. Curated from industry experts, the program highlights thought-provoking articles and videos alongside Entelechy’s award-winning content from Unleash Your Leadership Potential. Facilitated by Entelechy’s master trainers on the NovoEd social learning platform, the new senior leadership development program features:
- 45 minutes of company-specific leadership competency-based content per week across 26 weeks.
- Regular peer discussions and experience sharing within cohorts.
- Cohorts of global senior leaders for transnational collaboration.
- A unique blend of virtual, self-driven, instructor-led, and social learning.
INITIAL RESULTS AND FUTURE EXPECTATIONS
Recognizing that the goal of Energise Our Business is to permanently change behavior at the very top of the organization, National Grid doesn't expect to see results overnight. However, the organization is now well-equipped to perform well in the innovative new energy landscape of tomorrow. The organization anticipates the following results:
- Increased efficiencies and collaboration.
- Increased innovation and flexibility to shift to meet challenges and new opportunities.
- Increased creativity and confidence.
- Increased customer satisfaction.
- Increased employee engagement and morale.
By all counts, Energise Our Business has already had a considerable positive impact on National Grid’s senior leadership team and is directly responsible for creating a cohesive — and effective — leadership culture throughout the entire organization. While the program is still being implemented, it has already achieved the following results:
- 115+ senior leaders completed Energise Our Business.
- Participants were highly engaged; leaders collectively contributed 4,870+ total social posts, including discussion comments, photos, and videos. Collaboration amongst participants was also high, with 1,560+ Likes generated.
- 140+ Bright Ideas were generated through the program, which will better the entire organization for years to come.
- The program has been cited as a positive contributing factor to National Grid's recent increase in employee engagement, as measured by the company's 2019 Employee Engagement survey, which found:
- 77% of employees say they are feeling more engaged (an increase of 4%).
- 84% of respondents agreed that they felt personally motivated to help National Grid be successful (an all-time high response for this question).
The program received Silver and Bronze HCM Excellence Awards from Brandon Hall Group for Best Use of Social and Collaborative Learning and Best Use of Blended Learning, respectively. The program is also nominated for a Chief Learning Officer’s Learning in Practice Award.